I hate to admit how many times I purchased a bundle of kale with great intentions and then ended up tossing it in the garbage after putting off trying to eat it.
Well, that was the past. I’m now proud to be in the ever-growing club of Kale fans.
Of course, the most obvious way to eat kale is in a salad. But don’t try to make a salad with ONLY kale. It has a strong flavor… especially when raw. Instead, add some kale to other mixed greens and enjoy a superior salad.
When you’re eating kale in a salad, you may want to choose “Baby Kale” leaves as they tend to have a lighter taste. Also, combining a strong flavor such as beets works really well. Try this Beet and Pear with Baby Kale Salad.
But it’s surprisingly easy to take kale beyond the salad plate.
Here are 5 easy and tasty ways to eat Kale
- SmoothiesIf you’re already used to slipping some greens into your smoothies, add a little kale too. The taste is stronger than spinach, so gradually increase the amount of kale as your palette adjusts.
If you’ve got strong colored berries in your blend, the smoothie doesn’t even have to turn green. Try this Berry Healthy Smoothie.
Another healthy smoothie that Janice and I both love is so simple to make.
Just blend together…
- 1/2 Cup of Greek Yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- Handful of Frozen Blueberries
- Handful of Kale (or a mix of spinach and kale)
- 1/2 or 1 Cup of Skim Milk (depends on desired thickness)
- Couple of Ice Cubes
- Kale Chips
If you’re on Pinterest, you’ve likely heard of Kale chips. I finally made these and I was blown away at how they almost melt in your mouth.I made mine with only a little olive oil and sea salt. I was happy I found these key secrets to making flawless kale chips.
There are so many seasoning varieties, Stacie lists 15 kale chip recipes here.
- In SoupNothing beats a hearty bowl of soup. And yes, our superfood kale wants to jump in the pot too.
Get started with this Slow Cooker Kale Sausage & Lentil Soup.
- With EggsThe next time you’re scrambling eggs or making an omelette, sneak in a little kale. You might want to start with 1/2 spinach and 1/2 kale.
Here’s a delicious recipe for scrambled eggs with kale and mozzarella.
- On PizzaPizza may not usually be the healthiest food, but there are many ways to make it better for you. Spinach is an awesome topping for pizza – it’s actually my 9 year old’s favorite type of pizza – and if spinach can go on pizza, so can kale.
You can keep it simple and toss on a few pieces of kale before you bake your favorite type of pizza, or you can get fancy and make this Beet Pesto Pizza with Kale and Goat Cheese.
Tell Your Friends
If you found these tips helpful, we’d love it if you tweet and pin this post.
Written by Susan Carraretto, co-founder of 5 Minutes for Mom originally published on April 10, 2015
Talk with me: @5minutesformom and Facebook.com/5minutesformom
Pin with me at http://pinterest.com/5minutesformom/