With the holiday season now behind us, we find ourselves settling back into normal day-to-day routines. The only thing that has changed is our desire to be in the kitchen. I mean after all – didn’t we spend enough time in the kitchen during the holiday season?
I use the New Year as a time to cook more quick and easy dishes, usually opting for slow cooker or casserole type meals. Of course, sometimes I will reach for the random frozen dinner by Compliments brand to throw in the oven. Because… Convenience!
Prior to the holidays, I had been often found shopping at FRESHCO simply for the fact that I love their commitment to low every day pricing. If you like to watch flyers, you will often find they have great deals that can beat out competitor’s pricing in every department.
In effort to keep my pocket book in line, I plan to continue visiting FRESHCO now that the holidays are over! In fact – I was just there the other day and bought ingredients for a week’s worth of dinners for my family of 6 for $60 (not including school snacks and breakfast items).
Some of the meals on my meal plan this week, include Hamburger Hash, Beef Enchiladas, several Compliments frozen meals (because at $6.99 for a chicken pot pie and lasagna – you really can’t go wrong), and Beef & Tomato Pasta Bake.
The Beef & Tomato Pasta Bake is a recipe that my mom made for me during my adolescence. It is one of those comfort dishes that you can make as simple as you want or you could amp up by adding other ingredients that you love. It’s versatile! The best part? My kids love it! It’s become an affordable weekly staple in our weekly meal rotation.
Beef & Tomato Pasta Bake
- 1lb extra lean ground beef
- 3 cups medium pasta shells
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded old cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown beef over medium-low heat. Drain off excess fat. Add diced tomatoes and spices to pan. Stir. Mix in cooked pasta shells.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, add a layer of pasta. Sprinkle with some cheddar cheese. Repeat layers with the final layer being a good coating of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Transfer casserole dish to oven, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
If you are looking to find a fresher, cheaper grocery experience delve into the FRESHCO grocery realm. It truly is a grocery store that is the smart choice for good food at affordable prices.
[disclaim] Disclosure: This post has been generously sponsored by the makers of FRESHCO but the opinions expressed are my own.[/disclaim]