To me, good ol’ fashioned spaghetti and meatballs is one of the perfect comfort foods. Everyone seems to have their own version of the classic pasta dish so I thought I would share my version as well.
Just look at those juicy meatballs in that sauce!
Mama Mia! YUM!
This recipe is for a basic spaghetti sauce made using simple ingredients such as a couple cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, onions and some spices. Sometimes the simpliest of ingredients can produce some incredibly delicious results!
I used my basic meatball recipe for this and they compliment each other just splendidly!
The seasonings and ingredients in the meatballs give an amazing amount of flavour to the sauce so I highly recommend using them for this recipe. You can use your own recipe for meatballs if you like or you can even use the pre-made store bought kind. Just make sure that before you add the meatballs to the sauce they are cooked through.
You know why I call this my favorite way to make spaghetti and meatballs?
It really doesn’t take long to prepare – especially if you have the meatballs made ahead of time, you just have to drop them in the sauce!
I should also mention that this makes a great base recipe as well. If you’d like to add any other veggies to the sauce, they can be added a couple minutes after the onions start cooking.
Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and add a side of garlic bread to make this a perfect dinner your family will love!
My Favorite way to prepare Spaghetti and Meatballs
Author: Michelle Varga – DishesAndDustBunnies.com
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 6 – 8 Servings
- 2 lbs prepared meatballs (You can use my basic meatballs recipe – it’s perfect for this!)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 (28 oz each) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (5.5 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- Package of spaghetti or pasta of your choice, cooked according to package directions
- If using my basic meatballs recipe for this, prepare them according the the instructions in the recipe. Remove from the pan and set aside. See my note below for a few more details.
- On medium heat, cook the diced onions in the skillet until they become translucent – about 5 minutes. (Note: you’ll need a little cooking oil in the pan if you didn’t also use this pan for cooking the meatballs first.)
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the meatballs and gently coat them with the sauce.
- Simmer for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and discard.
- Serve on top of freshly cooked pasta such as spaghetti.
If using pre-cooked frozen meatballs, make sure they are mostly thawed before adding to the sauce.
I’d love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below!
This is an excerpt from the article My Favorite Way to Prepare Spaghetti and Meatballs which originally appeared on Dishes And Dust Bunnies.