While it can be tough to swap swimsuits and sandals for cozy sweaters and crisp, cool mornings, there are so many reasons to fall head-over-heels for autumn.
This is especially true for those who live, work or play in the Fraser Valley. From fall-themed carnivals and exciting day trips to outdoor fun and frolic on the farm, there’s so so much to see and do this season.
So grab a pumpkin-spiced anything and get ready to play tourist in your own neck of the woods with these 38 fun-tastick ideas that are on my own personal Fraser Valley Fall Bucket List for 2015.
Ready, set, fall fun!
1. Visit the Taves Family Farm Applebarn in Abbotsford and pick apples with the family.
2. Attempt to bake an apple pie from scratch with said apples… or just pick one up from the store 😉
3. Swing by Aldor Acres Pumpkin Patch to take a tractor-pulled hayride to pick our own pumpkins and then visit with the animals at the petting zoo afterwards.
4. Check out the Fraser Valley Food Truck Festival in Port Moody Sept. 19 and in Maple Ridge Sept. 26. to enjoy a diversity of cuisine, live music and children’s entertainment.
5. Swing by Krause Berry Farms to pick up a fresh berry pie, sample some fudge, saddle up and enjoy a berry wine tasting and then head out to the fields to pick our own fare. During Sept/Oct, crops ripe for the picking include: corn, fall raspberries, everbearing strawberries and blackberries.
6. Have a family picnic at Campbell Valley Park and then burn off the calories with a stroll on the trails — the fall foliage this time of year is simply stunning!
7. Get your BBQ fix and pick up some great grillin’ tips at the 9th annual BBQ Off the Bypass on Sunday, Sept. 13 in Langley.
8. Head out to Campbell Valley Regional Park, Township of Langley and experience the charm of an old-fashioned country fair at the 37th annual “Country Celebration” on September 19 & 20 from 10 am to 4 pm. This fabulous fall tradition that combines nature, heritage, agriculture and community is back and more fun than ever with a bike powered main stage, circus skills workshops, kite-making, raku pottery workshops, story telling, cow milking demonstrations, live raptors, and so much more!
9. Browse through the eclectic array of little shops in Fort Langley and stop for Lunch at Beatnik’s Bistro — this is probably your last chance to enjoy the patio!
10. While we’re on the topic of patios, check out the top-5 patios in the Fraser Valley as featured on Fraser Valley 5.
11. Take the kiddies for a miniature train ride at Bear Creek Park.
12. Put on your jam-jams on and enjoy family movie night at the Twilight Drive-in Theatre in Aldergrove. Movies start sooner during the fall months so it’s the perfect time to bring our whole family and snuggle under the stars.
13. Hire a sitter, get dolled up and head to Cascades Casino Resort for the Fraser Valley Cork & Keg Wine and Beer Festival. This is my favourite annual event. Hope to see you there Sept. 18th.
14. Go back in time (about 100 years) with a trip to the Historic Stewart Farm.
15. Check out the Langley Museum of Flight and let your imagination soar.
16. Keep your wee ones as busy as bees with a trip to Campbell’s Gold Honey Farm & Meadery in Abbotsford.
17. Pay a visit to the Langley Community Farmers Market outside Kwantlen Polytechnic University for some fresh, local and organic goodies before the sun sets on this great event (ends Oct. 14). Fair is every Wednesday from 2-6:30 p.m.
18. Go explore our province’s birthplace at the Fort Langley National Historic Site.
19. Update your family photos with a fall-themed photo shoot.
20. Partake in the popular Grave Tales Historic Walking Tour in Fort Langley (Dates daily from October 15, 2015 to October 30, 2015) Oh so spooky and fun!
21. Connect to our cultural heritage and experience life inside the fort as only the Hudson’s Bay Company employees could by spending a night or two in a oTENTik tent. But hurry, the sun sets on this ultimate glamping experience for the season on Oct. 12.
22. Have a family picnic at Derby Reach and then go on a nature scavenger hunt.
23. Celebrate the harvest and history of the cranberry in Fort Langley at the Cranberry Festival on Oct. 10.
24. Pick up a cozy new pair of PJ’s at Forever Yours Lingerie in Langley City.
25. Check out the lions, tigers and bears, oh my at the Greater Vancouver Zoo.
26. Take the kiddies for a pony ride at the Laughing Stock Ranch.
27. Watch a scary movie and enjoy a nice merlot and a bowl of popcorn. Don’t forget to throw a bag of Nibbs into the bowl. Just trust me on this one.
28. Order a pumpkin-spiced anything at our favourite local coffee shop — Lelem Cafe, here we come!
29. Rent the spooky flick ‘Children of the Corn,’ watch it and then head to the Chilliwack Corn Maze if you dare…
30. Enjoy a spook-tacular visit to the National Historic Fort for Family Fright at the Fort (Dates: October 16, 17, 23, 24, 30). Explore the spooky servant’s quarters, trick-or-treat, decorate a pumpkin and so much more.
31. Make fresh hot apple cider on the stove, complete with cinnamon sticks
32. Challenge your whole clan (grandparents included) to a game of outdoor miniature golf at Castle Fun Park while the weather is still mild.
33. Replace all of your summer scents and candles with fall fragrance like cinnamon, pumpkin, vanilla and nutmeg – yummy!
34. Get crafty by tracing leaves on paper .
36. The Fraser Valley Women’s Expo returns to the TRADEX on Oct. 17, offering a fantastic day out with girlfriends, mothers and daughters to relax, get pampered and HAVE FUN! Highlights of the event include great shopping at over 200 exhibits, free samples, exciting showcase entertainment, free makeovers, fashion shows, informative workshops, cooking theatre demos and more.
37. Head down to McBurney Plaza on Saturday September 26th from 12pm till 3pm for Circus in the Plaza! The Circus is coming to town! Expect to see stilt walking, juggling, unicycles, carnival games, face painting, balloon twisting and more. Immerse yourself in the circus experience as you test out your own skills and maybe you’ll be running away to join the circus one day!
38. Enter our HUGE contest with Ronsons’ Shoes HERE for a chance to win 6 pairs of fabulous fall footwear for you and a friend. Oh, and they’re even throwing in two pedicures!